We were taking a fast train back to Paris in the afternoon, so we spent our last morning in Dijon at the Jardin de l’Arabesque and the Well of Moses.
A very fancy beehive – Hotel for Bees – in Jardin de l’Arabesque, Dijon.
Chartreuse de Champmol was a Carthusian monastery built by Philip the Bold as a family mausoleum in 1383, outside Dijon (but now in the suburban area). Much of it was demolished during the French Revolution in 1792; it is now the site of the Hospital de la Chartreuse. Between 1395 and 1403 the Dutch artist Claus Sluter created a monumental sculpture known as the “Well of Moses” in a well in the courtyard. This hexagonal building was added in the 17th century to protect the work, although the upper portion depicting the crucifixion had already been mostly lost.
Two of the figures on the pillar of the Well of Moses: Moses and David. These were created between 1395 and 1402. Absolutely amazing!
The ceiling of the hexagonal building housing the Well of Moses sculpture.
The Chapel of Chartreuse de Champmol.