Most of today was spent organising ourselves – leaving “Scenic Jewel”, bidding farewell to new friends, and settling in to our Amsterdam accommodation, a quiet little hotel near Vondel Park. Nevertheless, we still managed to fit in a bit of sightseeing. Here’s a few things we found interesting …
Amsterdam Centraal is the largest station in the city, and a major national railway hub. This Gothic/Renaissance revival building was designed by Pierre Cuypers, who also designed the Rijksmuseum. It opened in 1889. Behind, and inside, this original building are modern renovation and extensions.
There are no multi-story carparks near Amsterdam Centraal – but there is this large multi-storey bicycle park!
The Royal Palace, in Dam Square, dates from the 17th Century. It was originally the Town Hall, but when Louis Bonaparte (brother of Napoleon) was installed as King in 1806 he converted it into his palace. [Cities have far too many poles and wires!]
The Waag (weigh-house), in Nieuwmarkt square, is a 15th Century building; it is the oldest non-religious building in Amsterdam. It was originally a city gate, and part of the walls of Amsterdam; in 1617 it was converted to a public weigh-house; the ground floor is now a restaurant and cafe.
The Oudeschans (old canal) and Montelbaanstoren (Montalban’s Tower). The tower was built in 1516 as part of the walls of Amsterdam; the decorative upper section was added in 1606.
This old Dodge seems very out-of-place in the narrow streets of central Amsterdam.