Our last full day in Amsterdam – tomorrow at midday we board our cruise ship and head off to Norway – was another day of sightseeing, hopping on and off the buses and canal boats. No rest for the wicked here …
There is a locked fenced off area in Vondelpark which is home to a family of White Storks. There is a large basket on a pole, where they are nesting. But often, as we passed, they would be foraging for food in the grass.
One of the hop-on/hop-off sightseeing boats, on a grey summer’s day.
The Sea Palace is a three-storey floating pagoda-style chinese restaurant, reputedly very good.
The National Maritime Museum, and a reconstruction of the “Amsterdam”, a Dutch East India company ship which sank in a storm in the English Channel on its maiden voyage to Batavia in 1749.
Hortus Botanicus was established in 1638 by the city to serve as an herb garden for doctors and apothecaries. It is one of the oldest botanical gardens in the world, and contains more than six thousand tropical and indigenous trees and plants.
The “Skinny Bridge” – made famous (so the hop-on/hop-off tour commentary tells us) in the James Bond movie “Diamonds Are Forever”. The original bridge, built in 1691, was named Magere Brug (“skinny bridge”) because it was very narrow. This current bridge was built in 1934.
There’s all sorts of custom canal cruises available!
The Seven Bridges of the Reguliersgracht canal, viewed from the Herengracht canal.
The former Amsterdam Main Post Office, built in 1895, is an impressive Neo-Gothic and Neo-Renaissance style building; it is now the Magna Plaza shopping centre.
Dam Square, central Amsterdam. A bit like large city squares in many places – even down to the horse-drawn carriages.
Moco is the Modern Contemporary Museum, which at the time of our visit was hosting an exhibition of works by Banksy (many) and Andy Warhol (a few).
One of the Banksy works at the Banksy/Warhol exhibition at Moco Museum.
One of the Warhol works at the Banksy/Warhol exhibition at Moco Museum.
Vondelpark was opened in 1865 as Nieuwe Park, for horseriding and strolling. It was renamed Vondelpark in 1867, when this statue of the poet Joost van den Vondel was erected. By 1887 it had been extended to its present size of 45 hectares. The horses have given way to cyclists and joggers; strollers are still numerous.